Update on Water/Weather Situation – Fri 17/12 3.30pm

Dear Councillor,

The water situation as reported this morning was production at 551Mld and demand at 541Mld i.e. a net gain of 10Mld. The regime of restrictions will continue as follows:

Friday Night (17th)                                                    – 10pm to 9am

Saturday Night (18th)                                              – 10pm to 9am

Sunday Night (19th)                                                 – 7pm to 7am

The situation will be reviewed again on Monday.

Regarding the severe weather alert Michael Phillips and I attended a meeting of the National Emergency Co-ordinating Committee this morning. Gerald Fleming from Met Eireann confirmed that snow is expected in the Dublin area tonight and may persist into tomorrow.

This will be followed by very cold weather with the likelihood of snow turning to ice. The weather pattern subsequently appears to indicate the very cold period continuing up the 24th at least.

We will be mobilising available workforce tomorrow and have asked business and homeowners to assist by clearing paths immediately outside their premises before the snow freezes. We have also asked the OPW and Government Departments to assist in their key locations.

The NRA confirmed at the meeting that supplies of salt have to be managed very carefully until new stocks arrive later next week. Deliveries from Turkey, Egypt and Tunisia have been delayed due to very bad weather in the Mediterranean area.

Essentially only the main routes around the country will be treated. We will continue to spread salt in the city as per the map on the website but repeat salting during the day will not be possible except in areas critical for public transport.

Yours Sincerely,

John Tierney

City Manager